Meet the Attorney
I have led my namesake law firm in Houston, Texas, from 1988-present. It is a boutique litigation firm emphasizing representation in trial, handling all areas of litigation including fiduciary liability, medical negligence, nursing home
neglect, insurance bad faith, commercial torts, personal injury, premises liability, professional liability, probate matters, and civil rights. Trials of complex cases, including a civil jury trial that lasted five weeks involving
commercial torts, fraud, usury, and contract breach. I have handled numerous multi-week trials concerning disability discrimination, invasion of privacy, slander, premises liability, and other torts. Trials of one week or less of medical
malpractice, automobile collisions, disputes on guarantees in contractual relationships, civil rights, and a variety of cases in differing areas of personal injury and commercial torts. I negotiated significant settlements in litigation
of executor misconduct, nursing home neglect, professional malpractice, insurance bad faith, theft of trade secrets, tortious interference with business relations, and numerous other causes of action.
Additionally, I have handled cases in County Courts, Statutory Probate Courts, District Courts, Federal District Court, Courts of Appeals, Court of Criminal Appeals, Texas Supreme Court, and Fifth Circuit. I have also served as an occasional legal analyst or commentator for regional and national television, radio, and print media. I represented a client in one of the largest and most complex Legal Malpractice cases ever in Harris County Probate Courts. As the sole owner of the practice, I have carried the responsibility for supervising other attorneys and support staff, practice development, and all other management decisions necessary to maintain a law firm for over twenty-eight years and have practiced law for over thirty-six years.
Heard, Goggan, Blair, Williams, and Harrison, Houston, Texas. 1987-1988. Chief Litigator - Houston office. I represented government clients from Houston, Beaumont, and Southeast Texas. I organized regional media coverage of the firm's activities.
Additionally, I initiated a premier program of aggressive efforts in bankruptcy proceedings. I appeared in Bankruptcy Court, Federal District Court, State District Court, and Special Master Hearings on behalf of various government clients. I supervised 15 attorneys and over 90 support staff. And I represented the firm in complex litigation other than government issues.
Harris County District Attorney's Office, Houston, Texas. 1982-1987. Assistant District Attorney. I successfully tried approximately 100 felony jury trials, including capital murders and over 40 misdemeanor jury trials. I handled case management from intake to post-trial hearings.
Chief Prosecutor, 185th Judicial District Court. I have served as a frequent lecturer on Voir Dire, Opening Statement, Direct Examination, Cross-Examination, and Final Argument for CLE accredited courses.
Gibbins, Burrow, Wash & Bratton, Houston, Texas 1981. Lawyer. My work included client interaction, case review and preparation, deposition analysis, discovery, and other matters in personal injury cases.
Sullins, Johnston, Rohrbach & Magers, Houston, Texas. 1980. Law Clerk.
- State Bar of Texas, October 1981
- U. S. District Court - Southern District of Texas, November 1987
- U. S. Court of Appeals - Fifth Circuit, August 1993
- American Bar Association
- Harris County Democratic Lawyers Association
- College of the State Bar of Texas
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Texas Pro Bono College
- Texas Tech University School of Law
- Doctor of Jurisprudence, May 1981
- Rice University
- B.A., Biology & Behavioral Science 1977
- President's Honor Roll 1976-77
- Varsity Basketball 1973-76
SCHOLASTIC LEGAL HONORS & AWARDS
- Texas Tech University School of Law
- Phi Delta Phi Legal Fraternity
- Member, Texas Tech Board of Barristers
- Member, 1981 Texas Tech National Mock Trial Team
- J. Hadley Edgar Trial Excellence Award 1980-81
- Mock Trial Best Advocate Award 1980-1981
- Kemp, Smith, Duncan, White & Hammond Mock Trial First Place 1980
- Underwood, Wilson, Berry, Stein & Johnston Moot Court Semi-Finalist